Happy Monday, loves! Today I was in need of a few makeup products and decided I turn that into a drugstore makeup review (I notice you all seemed to really like this post I did a few months’ back.) From my experience there are many drugstore makeup products that match up to the “prestige” brands at Sephora/Ulta, but then there are others where you get what you pay for. Before heading out, I researched the best-rated drugstore products in the categories I needed. Here’s what I got from (+ one impulse item!) and a quick review of each.
Clockwise, from bottom left:
- Maybelline Fit Me Matte + Poreless foundation ($7.99). This product is amazing! It was easy to put on and gave my skin a really flawless, airbrushed look. I’m totally obsessed with it and will be transitioning to it as my everyday foundation. I also love how they have the colors for two different skin types: normal-oily and normal-dry, since I definitely fall into the first category!
- Physician’s Formula Magic Mosaic Multi-Colored Custom Blush ($12.99). This product didn’t work out. The appeal is that you can swirl your brush in different places on the “mosaic” to get different hues, but I honestly didn’t notice much of a difference in the shades. In fact, I hardly noticed the blush on my face at all. It was so subtle it was like it was hardly even there!
- Physician’s Formula Powder Palette Mineral Glow Pearls in “translucent pearl”($13.99). This product was just ok. It gave a pretty shimmer, but it was hard to apply evenly. There was a spot on my cheekbone where it just wouldn’t stick, and I couldn’t figure it out! I also felt it had much more “sparkle” than “shimmer”, which to me would make it better for an occasion/night out rather than for an everyday look.
- Maybelline Eye Studio Master Precise Liquid Eyeliner ($8.49). This is a fantastic liquid liner! I love that the brush tip is so firm, making it easy to “tightline” as well as apply to my lower lash line. This is actually the first liquid liner I’ve ever applied to my lower lash line because previous liners I’ve were not precise enough.
- L’Oreal Double Extend Beauty Tubes Mascara and Primer ($9.99). This was another winner. The primer really lengthened my lashes, and the mascara added to this. The only thing is that compared to my favorite/everyday mascara, it didn’t thicken my lashes nearly as much. I still really like it though, and I think I’m going to play around with using just the primer and adding the Better Than Sex mascara and some of my other thickening mascaras.
Have you gals tried any of these products? What are your thoughts? If you want to see what these products look like on me, I did a try on/first impressions on my Instagram story tonight (@fifteenminutestoflawless). I’m one of those people that really likes to see products, so I wanted to do the same for you. 🙂
I hope your week is off to a great start. This was not a typical week for me since I’m off work and up in NH caring for my mom while my dad is away at a conference. Four years ago, she was diagnosed with a rare autoimmune disorder that is attacking her nerves. Since then she has lost her hearing, her mobility, and more recently come down with dementia (the disease is attacking the neurons in her brain). Emotionally it has been really tough to spend these last few days with her and see how difficult it is for my mom to do even the simplest things. Still, I am so glad I get this time. Family moments like these are precious and we never know how many more we will get.