Last month I kicked off a “build your wardrobe” series. Before I started fashion blogging I had several “wardrobe holes” that I’ve recently filled, and since rounding out my closet I’ve found it’s much quicker and easier to pull outfits together. My goal with this little series is to share types of items I consider “staples” in each category to hopefully help you too. So far I’ve written about ten shoes every girl should own, five jackets every girl needs, five jeans you need in your closet, and ten types of tops every girl needs. Tonight I’m taking on arm swag and talking all about the types of handbags you need in your closet.
- The leather satchel. My leather satchel is this style from Brahmin (unfortunately my exact color is no longer available but this one is very similar. A crossbody is something you will wear over and over (think your go-to bag) so get one in a neutral color. Also, I personally recommend getting one with a crossbody strap for practicality and ease of use.
- The crossbody. This style is effortlessly chic while also being quite practical. I’ve been completely obsessed with this one from Goodnight Macaroon since I got it a few months back.
Another of my favorite crossbodies is the one I’m wearing below from Vince Camuto (currently 42% off). I love how the tassel is detachable so I can wear it or not, depending on my outfit. If you’ve been following me for a while, you may have noticed that I often don’t wear my crossbody bags “crossbody”!
- The tote. As revealed on Instagram, I just splurged on this gorgeous tote I’d been saving for. While I personally think it’s the most perfect tote ever created and probably the most practical designer bag I could have gotten, you most definitely don’t need it to cover your bases in this category! I do recommend going for a quality tote though since it’s something you’ll use over and over. This one from Madewell is a great leather option under $200.
- The clutch. A clutch is a fun way to change up your look. I personally prefer colorful, printed, or embellished ones. I also prefer slightly larger clutches because they hold more than just a credit card and lip gloss. I recently purchased this genuine calf hair clutch for under $50 and love the way it spices up even the most basic outfit.
- The dressy bag. This is the bag you could take to a formal event. A lot of people choose an evening bag/clutch to meet their needs, but I personally prefer something a little more versatile that can be dressed up or down. My personal choice is this little pretty from Tory Burch.
- The statement bag. A statement bag is a great way to turn heads with an otherwise simple outfit. This is a bit of a bonus category, since statement bags come in just about every type of bag. I prefer clutches when it comes to statement-making patterns and colors and something more neutral for the other categories. But you could, for instance, have a “staple” crossbody that is neutral as well as a fun statement one.
One last note: when purse-shopping, choose a bag that is the right size for your figure. For this reason, I highly recommend purchasing a bag in person unless you are already familiar with style.
What do you guys think? Are there any other categories you would add to the list above?
Thank you for reading, and I hope you have a wonderful weekend! Ridge, Juliana, and I don’t have much planned (other than straightening up this hacienda), and I’m oh-so glad! I’ve been running a little ragged and it’ll be nice to catch my breath. 🙂