I’ve received a couple requests recently to do a post about skincare. First off, it makes me so happy when you let me know what you’d like to read more of…thank you so much!
Second, I will be very honest with you and say I’ve been a bit nervous to actually write this post because my skin is far from perfect. I struggled with moderate to severe acne as a teenager and while things got better in college, acne has always been something I’ve worked to keep at bay. In this process I’ve discovered some amazing products (and a lot of less-than-stellar-ones) and picked up some general skincare tips that helped me and I hope may also help you.
If you stare at the photo above for a second or two, you can see telltale acne marks. It’s taken me time to accept my less-than-perfect skin, but now I see these blemishes as a part of what makes me unique and I accept them as such. A little cheesy? Maybe. But it’s important to realize we are all beautiful for who we are, and not because of how well we measure up to Hollywood standards. Ok, I’m getting a little off topic… :).
Here are skincare habits I’ve found that when followed consistently have a huge impact on my skin. Some of them are pretty basic, but I wanted to include the entire list.
- Wash your face morning and evening and follow up with a moisturizer. This is the golden rule of skincare, and for good reason. I almost never skip washing my face before bed, but I was so darn tired the other night that I did…sure enough, the next morning I had a pimple. Last year I booked an appointment with a dermatologist; prior to this appointment I cleansed my skin with salicylic acid acne washes believing I needed this ingredient to fight acne. My dermatologist had me nix the salicylic washe and switch to the Cetaphil’s Oil Control Foam Wash and this was a total game changer! She recommended the Cetaphil moisturizer as well and this duo was a major breakthrough for my breakouts.
- Exfoliate on a regular basis. Lately I’ve been using this clarisonic dupe to exfoliate when washing my face in the morning and evening. It works so well! In the past I’ve used these exfoliating facial sponges, and they worked quite well too.
- Use a mask at least once a week. This one is only about $12 but it is SO good! The only downside is that it’s a messier mask to use, but still so worth it because of how deeply it cleanses. I also really like this mask from GlamGlow. This one is also terrific, especially if you are looking for more of a firming treatment.
- Apply an eye cream each night. I love this anti-aging one from Sephora (currently on sale for $11!) but went out on a limb recently and tried this one, which I also really like.
- Add “extras” as needed. When I feel like my skin is starting to look dull, I apply an overnight peel before going to bed. This $11 one has worked well for me and is also a great price. In addition I also recently tried this lactic acid treatment from Riley Sunday because Sephora tucked six or seven samples in my bag when I checked out. Holy cow, does this product work wonders! It really did smooth out fine lines and noticeably lightened more pigmented areas of my skin. The downside is it’s very pricey, and I just haven’t been able to bring myself to purchase it yet. Hmm, maybe Sephora will offer samples again next time I buy something? ;). Lastly, if you find yourself struggling with regular breakouts, this acne clearing gel from Peter Thomas Roth is absolutely phenomenal.
Let me know if you have any questions on my suggestions! Have a wonderful weekend and I will talk you you soon!