Happy Hump day, gals! Since starting this journey seven months ago I’ve acquired a lot of shoes– but I’ve learned a lot about shoes too. I had a few “holes” in my closet (or really, the floor of my closet, since that’s where I keep my footwear!) before I started the blog. Since September I’ve filled in the holes (and then some) but realized during the process that I don’t need a lot of shoes- I just need the right assortment. I truly believe if you have one pair from each category below you’ll have the perfect footwear for any occasion, and so I present to you: the 10 shoes every girl should own.
- Leather boots. These can be heeled or flat, neutral or black. As long as the design is relatively classic you’ll find yourself wearing these over and over, particularly in the Fall and Winter. I have three pairs of leather boots but my closet would be just fine with just this pair:
A similar pair is on sale here. Leather boots are a closet staple, but fortunately there are a ton of options out there to reflect your personal style and preferences!
2. Strappy Sandals. I purchased these Steve Madden sandals in September, and holy cow have I gotten a lot of use from them! They go with literally everything! Strappy heels are super versatile and I’m not quite sure how I survived before (ok, I know, I’m being a little dramatic 😉 ). But in all seriousness, this was probably my biggest wardrobe “hole.” I love these block heels on the Steve Madden’s because they make wearing them much more comfortable than a stiletto alternative.
3. Nude closed toe pumps. While I haven’t worn nude pumps as much as my strappy sandals, I view them as indispensable because there are certain outfits where no other pair of shoes will do.
My nude pumps are from Cole Haan (similar Cole Haan’s on sale here for under $80) and I adore them because they are so well made and comfortable.
4. Black closed toe heels. #3’s darker cousin is probably something you already own so I won’t go into too much detail. If you are in the market for a pair though, I highly recommend the Cole Haan’s I’m wearing in the photo below, on sale for $60 here.
5. Nude, taupe, or cognac booties. I have a black pair of booties, but I find my neutral booties are so much more versatile. I wore these booties (now on sale for under $80!) ALL Winter and highly recommend them.
Each Wednesday for the next six weeks I’ll take another clothing category (shoes, bags, tops, accessories, etc.) and talk about the pieces in each that will stretch you wardrobe so, so much further and make it faster and easier to get dressed in the morning.
6. Wedge sandals. These are a recent addition to my wardrobe but are already on major repeat because they are so stylishly versatile (not to mention insanely comfortable). A pair of wedge sandals is the perfect way to elevate any casual look all Spring and Summer.
7. Slip-on sneakers. I know, at this point you’re probably wondering when I’m going to get into footwear that’s less than 3 inches in height :). I got my first pair of slip-on sneakers last October when I purchased these Vans, and they were a game-changer. They are stylish, yet comfortable- on trend, yet supremely practical. Oh, and extremely durable too. When looking for slip-on sneakers, opt for black or neutral colors (which in this category for me includes blush pink).
8. Sandals. These are such a great alternative to flip flops and will dress up a casual look. I’ve received so many complements on these gladiator-inspired sandals since I got them last summer.
9. Ballet flats or loafers. To me it’s ok to have one or the other, whichever more reflects your personal style. The idea is that these shoes are comfortable and versatile while being appropriate for business and business casual occasions. I live in my Sperry Topsider loafers during Turkey Hill’s trade show season.
10. Statement heels. Last but not least, I think every girl deserves at least one pair of “ahh-worthy shoes that make a statement all by themselves.” I love throwing on a pair of statement heels to quickly dress up an otherwise simple ensemble like a tee shirt and jeans. These Vince Camuto cutouts are one of my favorite statement heels at the moment, and like so many of the shoes above are also on major sale right now at DSW!
What are your thoughts? Are there any categories you would add to this list? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below.
I’m writing over here from Tunica, Mississipppi (about 35 minutes from Memphis, TN). I flew in this afternoon for meetings today and tomorrow and had a chance to see Elvis Presley’s house on the way in…totally made my day!
Thank you so much for reading- goodnight!