Happy Sunday everyone! I hope you all have had as good a weekend as we have. Yesterday we helped my brother and his family move, ran errands, went to a birthday party for Juliana’s friend, and dog sat for one of my girlfriends in the morning/evening. It was a great day but non-stop! That’s the way my weekends are unless I “plan” downtime, but fortunately I’ve developed a makeup routine to keep pace with our busy life. The other day when doing my makeup I decided to time it–I knew it was quick but I wanted to get an idea of how long it actually took. When I finished, my iPhone read 4:55! Here are the products I use in my 5 minute routine and why I love them so much.
- Tarte Amazonian Clay 12 Hour Full Coverage Foundation. I’ve tried many foundations and this is hands down the best I’ve found. Tarte managed to develop a product that provides full coverage while allowing skin to breathe. It lasts all day without leaving you with that “heavy” feeling by nighttime. My skin is acne prone and many other “high end” foundations caused me breakouts when worn on daily, but this never has. Another side benefit–it takes forever to go through a bottle of this stuff! When applying, I tend to put several small dabs on an area (e.g. cheek, forehead) to put it on more quickly.
- Tarte Amazonian Clay Waterproof Bronzer. I discovered this gem a few years’ back and have been hooked since. I find this bronzer to be very forgiving–it blends easily and looks natural even when I throw it on in a rush. I use it to contour a little, and the slight shimmer creates a subtle highlighting effect, making it a 3-in-1 product. I apply on both cheekbones in an upwards motion and then to the most upper part of my forehead, blending all together.
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz Pencil. This is another one of those can’t-live-without products. Even before Anastasia Soare made brows a “thing”, I was obsessed. I’d tell my friends in college that brows are the only facial feature you can change without plastic surgery (I got a lot of laughs followed by “that makes sense!”). Before discovering this, I used Revlon/Maybelline brow pencils; they looked great but two hours later had worn off. This Anastasia pencil however has some serious staying power. Another thing I love: the precise, retractable pencil makes it so easy to mimic natural brow hairs, making it the ideal brow pencil for beginners.
- M.A.C. Pro Longwear Eyeliner. Eyeliner is probably the category in which I’ve tried the most products. So many eyeliners look great when put on but as the hours go by leave you with the ever-unattractive “raccoon eye”. This. product. stays. put. I was living in Hawaii when I first tried it and after a day in the sun at the beach it had not moved. Amazing! I get this liner in dark brown, called “Rich Experience”. I find brown is almost always a better choice than black for liner. And my favorite trick for applying liner: only apply on the outer half of your eyes, both above and below (think of creating a sideways “v”). It looks more natural, makes your eyes look bigger–and saves time!
- Maybelline Lash Sensational Mascara. There are many great mascaras available at the drug store these days. I’ve tried several of the higher price point products but find that usually there is not much difference between them and my favorite drug store picks. I like this mascara because it adds some serious length and volume and does not tend to clump.
- Tarte Tartelette Clay Matte Eyeshadow Palette. Can you guys tell by now that I love Tarte? 😉 Seriously though, they have some fantastic products. For my 5 minute routine I dab my index finger in a darker color (the right half of this palette) and apply just to the creases of my eyes. This takes two seconds but still gives that 3-dimensional shadow effect.
- Revlon ColorBurst Matte Balm. I tend to vary my lip color or wear none at all depending on my look, but this line from Revlon is wonderful! The product is long lasting and even after eating, a pretty tint lingers. I also find it to be very hydrating. My favorite color (depicted) is #210, called “Unapologetic”. It’s a beautiful “pop” of color without looking extreme.
That’s a wrap here. I’d love to hear what you guys think…leave any questions or comments below!